UW-L implements its Inclement Weather Plan when conditions make travel dangerous or other events cause serious safety concerns.
During deteriorating weather conditions, itshould be assumed that scheduled activities will continue unless an official announcement is made via University Communications and University Police. Those who travel to or from campus should use their judgment as to whether or not such travel is wise.
When the plan is implemented, look to the following for changes to the university schedule:
- University’s home page, http://www.uwlax.edu – An alert notification will run across the top of every page; the homepages will have lead banner notifications.
- E-mail to all employees and students via EagleApps accounts.
- Social media venues (Facebook and Twitter).
- Updates via phone and e-mail from CodeRed (sign up at Police/Emergency-response-plan) – will alert class cancellations or campus closures.
- Local media: On air and via their websites.
When university classes and events are cancelled, typically employees must report for work with any work changes in accordance with the UW System Inclement Weather Policy.
Hourly classified employees who do not report to work, report late, or leave work before the end of the work day because of weather conditions will be allowed to make up lost time during the remainder of the work week, as much time as is beneficial to the work unit. Make up time shall be at the regular rate of pay.
Hourly employees may also take leave without pay, vacation, personal holiday, or compensatory time to cover absence.
Salaried classified and unclassified employees may use available annual leave (vacation), compensatory time, available holidays, or leave without pay to cover inclement weather absences.
An employee and the employee’s supervisor may agree that the employee can account for the time of the absence in another manner consistent with the professional nature of the employee’s work assignment.